Today we are happy to announce the release of OpenSolver 2.7.0, available for download here. The release fixes a large number of bugs and also introduces some great new features:
- Update Checker: OpenSolver now includes an automatic update checker that will periodically check for updates. This is an opt-in feature that we hope will make it easier to keep up with the latest releases. As a side effect, we plan to move to more frequent releases so that new features and fixes are available sooner. More info on the Update Checker is available here.
- VBA API: We have created a complete VBA interface to OpenSolver that allows full control of OpenSolver using VBA, much like Excel Solver’s API. We strongly recommend using these new functions to control OpenSolver instead of the Solver functions. The full list of API methods is here.
- Error Reporting: We have revamped the error handling within OpenSolver to give us much more information when an error occurs. There is also an option to report issues from within Excel when an error occurs. This will email us directly with full information about the error, which will hopefully make it easier to resolve any issues you might encounter.
- All solvers now support extra parameters being defined, and these parameters can now be set from the Options dialog. More information about using these parameters is here.
- Highly experimental support has been added for the NOMAD solver on Mac. This feature is very new, so if you try this out please let us know how it goes.
We have also updated the included solvers to the following versions:
- CBC 2.9.4
- Bonmin 1.8.1
- Couenne 0.5.3
- NOMAD 3.7.2
As always, please let us know how you find the new version, and we appreciate any feedback you can offer.